Insert Content Template or Symbol

How to get a part-time job in Canada as an International student

As an international student, finding part-time work in Canada is an excellent opportunity to get real-world experience and a crucial method to support your needs financially while you're a student. International students can find various jobs in Canada on and off campus. However, navigating job opportunities in a foreign nation might take a lot of work. This guide intends to provide students with a thorough road map, including detailed instructions on how to obtain a part-time job, comprehend the legal requirements, and take advantage of the chances that are accessible. These tips will enable you to maximize your international student experience in Canada, whether searching for an on-campus job, off-campus employment, or a co-op or internship program.

Follow our Page to Get Scholarship Notifications

Eligibility Criteria for Part-time Jobs in Canada for Students:

  • International students must have a valid study permit to be eligible for part-time employment in Canada. In programs with a minimum of six months, students must be enrolled as full-time students. They often have the opportunity to work up to 20 hours per week while taking regular breaks to work full-time. Compliance with the requirements indicated in the study permit, language ability, and participation in co-op or internship programs in their area of study may increase job prospects.


To be eligible for On-campus part-time jobs in Canada, students must have:

  • Holding a valid study permit.
  • A Social Insurance Number (SIN) must be obtained to work legally in Canada.
  • Enrollment as a full-time postsecondary student at one of the following kinds of institutions:
    • A public or private secondary school, university, trade or technical school.
    • A CEGEP in Quebec.
    • A private Canadian institution licensed to award degrees under temporary legislation and offers a course of study approved by the relevant province.
    • An institution in Quebec that offers 900-hour or more extended qualifying programs, whether public or private.

To be eligible for Off-campus in Canada, students must have:

  • Enroll in a secondary-level apprenticeship program in Quebec or a postsecondary academic, vocational, or professional training program.
  • Enrollment in a program that lasts at least six months and results in a degree, diploma, or certificate awarding.
  • Possession of a Social Insurance Number (SIN) for legal employment in Canada.
  • Before starting a job, the study program must begin.

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

  • A Social Insurance Number (SIN), a distinctive 9-digit identification number provided by the Government of Canada, is a must for everyone looking for work nationwide. International students can work up to 20 hours a week off campus while the semester is in session and full-time while breaks are arranged if they have a SIN. Additionally, it allows students to accept job offers on and off college as long as they meet the prerequisite requirements. To ensure that people may work in Canada while studying, the SIN is a crucial part of the legal framework for employment there.

Types of Part Time Jobs Available for International Students:

  • On-campus Jobs:The easiest way to work part-time in Canada is to look for on-campus jobs. This will help a student save time and money on traveling. A student can find jobs on campus in one of the following departments:
    • Library
    • Administrative Office
    • Cafeteria
    • Bookstore
    • Campus Guide
    • Tech Support
    • Teaching Assistant
  • Off-campus Jobs:The best off-campus part-time jobs for students in Canada include: 
    • Server/ Bartender at restaurants
    • Retail outlets
    • Customer service
    • Cashier
    • Personal Tutor
    • Translator
    • Freelancer
    • Babysitter
    • Driver
    • Dog walker

Where to Look for Part-Time Jobs in Canada

It would be best to create a thorough CV listing your educational background, experiences, accomplishments, and talents before you can begin looking for employment for international students in Canada. In Canada, there are several options for students to find part-time work, including:

  • Online Job Portals: Students can find the ideal position based on their preferred location and field of work using online job search tools.

    Job Bank:
    Indeed, here's the URL:
    Workopolis may be accessed at

  • .

  • Statement of Purpose
  • Curriculum Vitae or CV
  • Letters of Reference (LOR) 
  • TOEFL/IELTS Score (If Needed) 

Official Circular Link: এই লিংক থেকে দেখুন।

সাধারণ প্রশ্ন ও উত্তর

এপ্লিকেশন করার আগে সুপারভাইজার ম্যানেজ করতে হবে কিনা?


আমার এডুকেশনাল গ্যাপ আছে। আমি কি আবেদন করতে পারবো?

হ্যা, পারবেন।

Facebook Comments

Leave a Comment

error: Content is protected !!